Friday, September 30, 2005

WSE 3.0 will have it all (hopefully)

I was trying to have some hold around these WS-* stuff by reading here and there. Microsoft seems to be incorporating all these things into WSE 3.0, which is available as beta right now. Somewhere, I saw IBM's WSTK latest version is already having it in public.

Anyway, I was going through Microsoft's plan of releases, and found some striking points to note:
-- Microsoft's WSE 3.0 will be running on .NET Framework 2.0. Which means, for those running on .NET 1.1, you need to remain happy with WSE 2.0 SP3, whatever you get there.
-- You will need Visual Studio.NET 2005 to develop using WSE 3.0. Which means it would not be easy to make it working with your existing .NET application, unless you decide to port it to new development environment.

So, moving forward quite a few tests are to be done before taking any decision. I can think of a few points right away for me:
-- Currently, my application and web service both running on .NET 1.1. If I migrate the web service to .NET 2.0, will I be able to implement WS-Coordination and WS-Transaction in my web service?
-- Even if I can implement that in my web service, will I be able to keep my application in old .NET 1.1 to realize the full benefit?
-- Will I be able to keep my existing components in .NET1.1 while the new components of the same application will be developed on .NET 2.0? If yes, what would be the key points/limitation I should keep in my mind?

I think I need to wait for some more time till I find good answers to all these.